httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Considering general/PR7357: URLs containing invalid paths in combination with .. are served
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:45:30 GMT
From: "Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 3:35 PM

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking FilesystemOptions [[+|-]EtagInode] [[+|-]CanonicalRedirect]
> >

> Man, I'm really having a hard time operating my email program lately.
> Anyway, I meant to say that the Canonicalization issue should be dealt
> with in httpd.conf.

You think you have it bad... now I'm submitting a mod_dav build patch to
the ms-windows www newslist.  Maybe both our brains need examination :-)

> Even if you do think a new directive is necessary, I'm not sure why you
> would want to perpetuate the confusing syntax of "Options".

Options?  Well we have IndexOptions for indexing, Options for whatever
http does, and FilesystemOptions for what the file system does.

I think the gist is that folks don't want Options expanded.  Better to
make a few groups of options by the area they manipulate (IndexOptions
is a perfect example) and grow from there.  OTOH, I'm not sure we want
dozens of new directives when they can be grouped as flags.

I have no strong opinion on the implementation, just on the facility.

Bill