httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c Makefile.in connection.c
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 22:08:40 GMT
From: "Greg Stein" <gstein@lyra.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 3:53 PM

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:24:20AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > bunch of code so that more people can work on it.  Explain to me how it
> > makes sense to put the DocumentRoot directive in the HTTP module.  I
>
> Actually, I think DocumentRoot *is* HTTP specific :-)

No, DocumentRoot is the root of the resources.  It is _not_ HTTP specific.
It _is_ core_fs specific (going back to the modular filesystem debate :-)

> SMTP, POP, SNMP, and NNTP wouldn't use it. I could see FTP using it, but I
> probably would have used a different name anyway.

No.  First, FTP likely needs it's own host block (servername:21).  Second, you
don't want to reimplement core_fs for a half-dozen protocols like FTP and Gopher
when you still get right down to a resource.

Second, the other's you mention are _not_ resource-oriented.  I'm still figuring
Apache serves resources.  Those other URI's specify transients.  You can't simply
nttp://server/somethingspecific and get what you want.

Long term, perhaps an entirely different core can communicate those types of
transient connections, but we have a number of resource-based protocols to
consider first.

Bill