httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Regarding 1.3.19...
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2001 01:06:10 GMT
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> I could certainly settle on that :-)
>
> From: "Martin Kraemer" <Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:48:55PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > In other words: Options DisableINodeETag eliminates inodes from the default
> > handler's behavior.
>
> "Options" has plussed/minussed arguments. So how about:
>   Options +InodeEtag (default) and
>   Options -InodeEtag (settable)

I think this is not a good idea.  The absence of an option from an Options
line (when using non-plussed directives) implies the "off" state of that
option.  For example,

Options includes
is the same as
Options +includes -followsymlinks -indexes -MultiViews

In other words, Options default to the off state in all cases. You are
suggesting an option which defaults to the on state.  This would change
the symantics of the Options directive.  (And the symantics of the Options
directive are already confusing enough for my taste.)

Joshua.