httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/vhosts index.html.html
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:50:59 GMT
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> From: "Joshua Slive" <slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>

> > > Wouldn't symlinks have been easier?
> >
> > Perhaps.  I wasn't sure how symlinks would work in CVS, or how they would
> > affect win32.  If anyone can answer those questions, I would be happy to
>
> The more I look at this change, the less I like it.
[...]
> I just find it too crufty.

I guess this is just a matter of taste.  I don't find it particularly more
crufty than symlinks.  It is my sincere hope that it this is all a
temporary problem, because some energetic soul will implement a
FallBackLanguage directive and/or pass through enough information to make
a legitimate custom Errordocument for "No Acceptable Variants".

Having said that, one option is to distribute the docs without the
.html.html files, and let webmasters deal with the problem on their local
copies of the docs. My main concern is getting something that works
properly for httpd.apache.org.  Unfortunately, I don't see a simple way of
doing this just for httpd.apache.org without it being in CVS.

Suggestions?

Joshua.