httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:11:52 GMT
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Sander van Zoest wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Philippe M . Chiasson wrote:
>
> > I know of at least 2 very different uses for the mod_proxy module currently.
> > The first one is to act as a caching HTTP proxy, but the second is to make a
> > lightweight doc server proxy some requests to a heavyweight server (mod_perl).
> > There 2 jobs share some common code/functionnality but there are also quite
> > different.
> >
> > I think it would be wise to consider splitting these 2 tasks up to.
>
> Although it should considered, I think the power of an apache proxy server
> would be the fact that it could do both of these tasks. I would consider
> a proxy type of project to be more along the lines of what Dean Gaudet has
> been refering to as an "http router". Everyone is doing this one way or
> another and this is also part of squid now (with their accelerated support).

If the meaning is what I think it is, that would definitely be a good
project. You mean something akin to Squid's "httpd acceleration" mode -
you accept the connections, parse them to get the URL, then pass the
request on to a suitable backend? (Or serve static content from a cache.)

> If some people add a reliable cache that talks HTCP and ICP and whatever they
> feel is useful that would be a bonus. Having access via different languages to
> the proxy/router stream can be very beneficial as well.
>
> Maybe if the project would come out with that sort of scope more people would
> be interested in helping out. I would definately use it and submit patches
> if I can not find the time to work on it in a fuller capacity.

I'd certainly like to help on that...

James.