httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: AP_MIN_SENDFILE_BYTES
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:16:53 GMT
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > It is common.  Take a look at what the Adobe browser plug-in
> > > requests.  The last time I looked this made a lot of overlapping range
> > > requests.
> >
> > But how prevalent is the adobe browser plug-in?  I really don't know.
>
> It;s not just Adobe, that was an example.  Remember, that Brian was able
> to generate over 50 core files in under 5 minutes the first time we put
> 2.0 on Apache.org.  All of those that I looked at were for byterange
> requests.  I believe we are all under estimating how many requests are
> byterange.

Apart from anything else, anyone resuming a download from /dist will be
generating byterange traffic. A download manager may also generate a
byterange request, to check it's supported properly - at which point,
every Windows user downloading the binary via Go!Zilla will be donating
another "core"...

James.