httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: ap_send_http_header
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:32:19 GMT
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > > why does it have to be there somewhere?  are you guys maintaining
> > > source compatibility between 1.3 and 2.0?
> >
> > Unfortunately, we are trying to.  It makes no sense, because we have
> > already broken source compatability so many times, but this was a
> > requirement when we did the filtering stuff.
> >

> Arrgggghhhhh. Maintaining source compatability makes no sense!!!
>
> Greg, you have made the most noise maintaining source compatability for the
> ap_r* API. Does this extend to the rest of the Apache API?  Obviously you do
> not advocate 100% source compatability (else you'd be screaming about the hook
> API). What specifically do you want?

Just to make sure everybody understands my position here.  I don't care at
all about source compatability.  Rip the stupid thing out, and be done
with it.  But, can we come to a consensus about when we are going to
maintain compatability, and when we won't?  It is VERY difficult to make
the "right" decision, when we sometimes want source compatability at all
costs, and sometimes we don't care.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131