httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Bug 6980
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:56:42 GMT

I am trying my best to close as many 2.0 bugs as possible.  This bug is a
bit of a problem though, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  It is
basically that we have a lot of warnings on IRIX.  I have begun to look
into those warnings, by picking warnings at random and seeing what they
are.

The problem is that some of those warnings are to be expected, and some
are just incorrect.  The others, I am not sure how to deal with.

Allow me to explain:

There are a whole set of warnings in apr about a parameter not being used.
That is to be expected, occassionally we added a pool to an APR function
that wasn't used by Unix, because it is used by Windows and/or OS/2.
Obviously the unused parameter is there by design, and those warnings
should not be counted.

There are a couple of warnings about unreachable code, for example line 86
of apr_strnatcmp.c.  I am going back and forth about whether or not to
remove those lines.  The code compiles just fine without any warnings or
errors.  But, should we leave those lines in just in case.  Looking at the
code, it looks like those lines really are unreachable, but just in case
of a bug, I want to leave them in.

The rest look a lot like problems between 32 and 64 bit machines.  We just
don't compile cleanly on a 64 bit machine.  The only patch we have ever
seen to solve this, uses casts, which we are all against.

To make matters worse, I don't have access to a 64 bit machine that I can
even try to solve those on.

I don't want to just close this bug, because this many warnings are a bad
thing.  I believe the solution to the first issue, is to tell the
compiler not to issue those warnings.

Does anybody have any thoughts for the other two issues?

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131