httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:47:02 GMT
On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> WTF?  First of all, Webfolders is buggy because it should always be
> including the trailing slash.  How the brainiacs at Microsoft got that
> one wrong is beyond me -- I personally explained to them that Apache
> returns a 301 on any directory without a slash because those are two
> different resources and ONLY the one with the slash is a collection.
> The other URL is not a collection.

Roy, I think you answered your question for yourself.  :-)  You explained
in great detail how to make Webfolders incompatible with Apache.  I have a
feeling they tested against Apache, and discovered that it continued to
work.  The problem was that they were getting lucky.  We allowed mod_dav
to get the handler phase before mod_dir.  Now, we always run this because
it is in the fixup, so we are going to ALWAYS do the redirection.

> Greg, the change is wrong, but I suppose we can leave it in for now.

This begs the question, how long do we leave the wrong behavior in the
code?  I would rather fix this correctly now, and break Webfolders than
continue doing something wrong.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131