httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:26:02 GMT
On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 06:55:27AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > > Agreed. I thought of the same thing about an hour or so ago. Given two minds
> > > in agreement :-), I went ahead and made the change.
> > >
> > > The underlying rationale is this: for relative links in a returned document
> > > (via a GET) to work properly, the base URL needs a terminating slash; this
> > > fixup handles that. Other methods do not return content (in the same way or
> > > semantics), so they do not require the redirection.
> >
> > The other nice thing, that I realized while I was out.  This is how I read
> > the RFC.  :-)
>
> Woah! There is something in 2616 about this? What section?

Take a look at section 10.3.2.  It isn't perfect, but IMHO it opens a
small loophole that says the server can treat everything other than GET
and HEAD differently from how it would treat GET and HEAD requests.

It's a bit shady, but I think we can get away with it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131