httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: socket_read?
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:36:49 GMT

> In fact, in mod_tls, I should not assume that the underlying filter is a
> socket, so I shouldn't be testing for EOF anyway - I should simply
> return EOS when the brigade is empty.

You should never return EOS.  EOS is a bucket type, and it must come from
the lowest level possible.  If you are reading from the socket, then you
should add an EOS bucket to the brigade once you have read all the data.
If you are reading from a brigade, then you should only ever see an EOS
bucket if the lower level filter gave you one.

> So, my next question is: what is the purpose of an EOS bucket? Surely
> its the same as an empty brigade?

No.  An empty brigade means that there is no more data, right now.  An EOS
means there never will be any more data.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message