httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: AddOutputFilter enhancement
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2001 18:28:16 GMT
On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > > Oh, I see ... why is this better than <Files...>?
> >
> > Because I got yelled at when I said to use <Files...>.  :-)  I was just
> > trying to make people happy.
> No-one's yelling about using <Files...> now - in fact, I see only
> agreement.
Sorry, I`m just dropping in on this discussion for a second, and then I`ll
be disconnected again for a couple days.

I don`t have any problem with the 'files' type interface, but I should
note that it is not how the rest of the Apache configuration works.  In
particular, most configuration of meta-information for files is performed
by designating `extensions`.  Extensions have a particular syntax, and
they are not the same as the regex being discussed.  (ie, they do not have
to be at the absolute end of the filename, because they could be followed
by other extensions with further meta-information.)

My biggest concern is that AddOutputfilter go away, because it conflicts
baddly with the other Add... type directives.  If I was designing the
replacement, I would use something as close as possible to the
AddHandler, Sethandler syntax that already exists.  Please don`t make up
some new syntax without a very good reason.

Sorry, but I can`t type any more on this crappy connection

View raw message