httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: trivial addition to apachectl
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:49:14 GMT
On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 04:31:00PM -0800, josh rotenberg wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i added a 'debug' target to apachectl for simplicity while debugging some
> > > module stuff, just saves a couple keystrokes. thought people might find it
> > > helpful. the diff to the 1.3.17 apachectl is attached.
> > >
> > > basically, 'apachectl debug' starts httpd with -X, backgrounds the process,
> > > and then runs gdb against httpd with the new pid.
> >
> > Nice idea, but very unix+gdb specific. IIRC, dbx, for example, has a different
> > syntax for attaching to a process. And what about non-unix (are they using
> > apachectl at all?)?

isn't all of apachectl unix specific?

> > +0
>
> It also seems a bit like overkill, why not just do gdb ./httpd -X?

that doesn't work.  you'd need at least 2 steps:
% gdb ./httpd
(gdb) run -X

which will still be missing the -d/-f arguments, long path names that are
a pain to remember/type.

+1 if 'debug' is changed to 'startgdb': apachectl startgdb
then we can have startdbx or whatever else.

its a nice shortcut, i've put similar into various project makefiles in
the past, would be nice to have it one place.