httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/perchild config.m4
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:01:30 GMT
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:00:51PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > On 16 Feb 2001 rbb@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't work as well as I would like it to, because mpmt_pthread and
> > dexter are using pthreads instead of APR threads.  If we were using APR
> > threads, we would get all sorts of compile time errors.  Since we are
> > using pthreads, and Apache detects threads on the system, we setup
>
> "and Apache detects threads on the system" ... that is the problem :-)
>
> Apache shouldn't use the APR thread detection M4 files. It should do one of
> two things:
>
> 1) use threading values exported by APR

The problem is that Apache has, in the past, had to determine it's
threading situation before running APR's configure script.  That can
probably be changed now, but I don't believe that is the solution we want.

> 2) use APR threads only
>
> > everything correctly.  The best answer I can come up with is to use APR
> > threads in our MPMs, which should make us error out when a threaded MPM is
> > chosen without threads in APR.
>
> This would be option (2). Totally fine with me. APR threads shouldn't be a
> large burden over calling the pthread API directly. If it is, then we have a
> problem :-)

This is a much cleaner solution IMHO.  Plus, I am a big fan of making
Apache eat our own dog food.  We wrote a threading library for APR, Apache
should use it.  :-)

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131