httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Features requiring rebuild of server
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:37:05 GMT

> don't want on by default ?  Even in the monolithic case, is the overhead
> of the modules that objectionable ?  Again, if they were prebuilt by
> default, our customers could just enable them in httpd.conf without
> having to rebuild from source.

I do not believe we want to enable all modules by default in the
monolithic case.  Take the case of a sysadmin who reads about a security
whole in Apache.  They take a quick look at their config, and see no
mention of the module mentioned in the report.  They believe they are safe
at this point.  If that module is actually compiled statically in all
cases, then they may not be safe, but they may never know that.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131