httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: memory leak
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 16:38:06 GMT

> > Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > >
> > > ... how about creating a new pool that has a suitable lifetime (i.e. lasts
> > > longer than the requst pool but not as long as a connection)?
> >
> > Why not as long as the connexion?  Sounds like a connexion is a natural
> > scope for a pool..
>
> Do you mean connection?  If not, what is a connexion?

I answered my own question by going to Merriam-Webster
on-line.  According to them, a connexion is the british spelling of
connection.  The connection pool is the incorrect pool for buckets.  This
would be a resource leak.  Imagine a 4K block of data in a heap
bucket.  That 4K gets freed when the bucket is destroyed.  If the bucket
get's destroyed only when the connection pool is destroyed, then we are
leaking resources for a long time.

Now think of a simple pipelined request that is for all static
files.  Each file is MMAP'ed and put into a bucket allocated out of the
connection pool.  If there are five pipelined requests, then none of the
MMAPs go away until after the last request.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131