httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Release Strategy
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:35:00 GMT

My current problem with this discussion is that I do not see how this
model works.  I would really like to see an example of this model in
practice in an Open Source project.

I am personally not going to be comfortable with this model until I see
such an example.  I would back the PHP model 100%, because I have worked
it out in my mind, and I see how it all fits together.  I also know from
watching PHP that it seems to work, at least it did for the last release
(the one I was watching).

I have thought about the model that is being proposed, and I have outlined
my problems with it.  I have not been able to reconcile the problems I
have with what has been posted on the list.

I would appreciate one of two things.  1)  A very well thought out
description for how this all works, assuming the tree never freezes, and
developers intermix bug fixes with bugs.  2)  An example of an open source
project that uses this model so that I can look at what has happened in
the past with that project.

I believe that either one of those two options would be a very good way to
prove this model against the real-world.  I would also be very happy to
listen to some other method for proving how this model would work.  I am
very reluctant to use this model without first measuring it against some
other real-world benchmarks.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131