httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/proxy proxy_http.c
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:08:29 GMT

> > > Woah... having trouble with a module is very different than missing a
> > > maintainer. And mod_rewrite is arguably much more important to people than
> > > mod_proxy.
> > >
> > > I would suggest working on simplifying and reducing the code, rather than
> > > punting it. It may be possible to make it more maintainable, than to just
> > > toss it because of a few bugs.
> >
> > Who is currently maintaining mod_rewrite?
> I am not in favor of punting mod_rewrite. For the most part it just works.  If
> it breaks, someone generally steps up to fix the break, which is -not- true
> for mod_proxy.

But, we have a long-standing tradition of not keeping code that doesn't
have an active maintainer.  I don't see a maintainer for this code.  I am
not suggesting dropping it on the floor for good, and I don't think
anybody else is either.  A good portion of mod_rewrite can be done easily
with other modules in fact.  I would suggest putting mod_rewrite in a
separate repository that more people can have access to.  Then, the httpd
developers can decide if and when that code is to a point that it is

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message