httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Release Strategy
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:22:26 GMT

> > why does the tree ever have to be "frozen", even for ten minutes?
> > as long as you're doing a "cvs tag" of a checkout and not a "cvs
> > rtag -r HEAD", you'll never collide with checkins that happen after
> > you've done your checkout but before you've tagged. they'll just
> > end up being part of the next tag&roll. no big deal when that
> > happens on a reliable schedule.
>
> It's not collisions, I think, but the fact that whoever is tagging
> has knowledge of the exact state of the tree... And to prevent
> weird things with multi-commit patches. More preventative than
> anything else I would think.

My only reason for suggesting a 10 minute freeze, was for prevention.  I
want to be 100% sure that we aren't going to have to fix a CVS tree.  If
we can garauntee that we won't have any problems, then we can forget about
the 10 minute freeze.  Since I will be doing the tagging from a cron-job,
I fully suspect that the freeze would actually be about a minute and a
half.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131