httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: SSL support
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 00:53:19 GMT

> > I think it's a bad design :-) ... but am not ready to spend the time on it
> > to suggest an alternative. IMO, the input filters should always read chunks
> > of data. The upper filters can massage that into lines, if that is what is
> > needed.
>
> Right. The obvious way out of this is to provide general purpose brigade
> masseurs (or masseuses) that will give you a line from a chunky brigade.
> But perhaps I'm missing something.

What you are missing is how to get the data back to the lower
filter.  Right now, filters are one way, if we have a set of functions
that break data, we need to send that data back to the bottom of the
filter chain, otherwise it won't be there for the next request.

> > But there is also the caveat of HTTP being line-oriented and not wanting to
> > read too far (past the newline). So yes, I recognize that is the cause of
> > the current design, but I still don't have to like it :-)
>
> Protocol is supposed to be pluggable, remember.

Remember that the line vs chunk oriented is based on a field in the
conn_rec.  The protocol can control whether it gets line-oriented or
chunk-oriented data from the filters.  IMHO, we will always need to allow
a protocol to specify what kind of data they currently expect.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131