httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: SSL support
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 15:37:37 GMT

> No. What you are saying is that we can have any SSL implementation we
> like so long as it is mod_ssl. That's unacceptable. What we agreed was
> that there would be an abstraction such that _third-party_ modules to
> provide things like caching, certificate verification, etc., could be
> added, but that _none_ of the functionality would be ported from either
> Apache-SSL or mod_ssl.

Just to throw something out here, I would like to see mod_ssl/tls,
whatever it's called, not implement caching at all.  Cache logic is all
relatively similar, even if some of the details change.  We have a very
small prototype of a mod_cache in experimemntal, that was originally
designed as a filter to cache web pages.  With a bit of work, a small
function could be added to put generic caching in.  This would allow
mod_ssl/tls to take advantage of any back-end that has been written for
mod_cache.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131