httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: SSL support
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 15:28:55 GMT

> However, I've immediately hit a problem - SSL requires the ability to
> write when its reading and read when its writing, if you see what I
> mean. Now, I really wanted to slot it in as a filter, which means that
> the read filter has to be able to send stuff to the write filter chain
> (well, insert stuff, more to the point) and vice versa. I can't
> immediately see how that's possible, if it is at all. Is it? Should it
> be?

I don't understand what you want to do.  Do you want to write something to
the socket as you are reading, or do you want to setup some data to be
written as you start to write the output?

If the latter, just delay inserting the output_filter until you are in the
input filter, and then you can insert the output filter with a ctx pointer
that has the data you want to write.

> A fallback position would be to replace the bottom (i.e. socket) layer,
> but I'd rather avoid that if I can - however, if the answer to the above
> is "forget it", then I guess I need to know how one does that (I haven't
> looked, so just kick me if its obvious).

One doesn't.  :-)  It should be perfectly possible to create an SSL module
that is a filter.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131