httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: AP_MIN_SENDFILE_BYTES
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:59:37 GMT

> > Yep.  Basically, there needs to be a cut-off, so that we don't sendfile a
> > lot of little files.  We are much better off with a hierarchy:
> >
> > read  if it's really small,
> > mmap or sendfile if it's a bit bigger.
>
> I think for byterange requests, mmap()+writev() would be the best - the
> other two options won't merge packets, which will be a performance
> hit. Even for tiny files, getting bytes 5-10,10-15 would be better under
> mmap()+writev() - read/write and sendfile will both send two tiny packets,
> it seems.
>
> So:
>
> read()+write() for "normal" GETs on tiny files
> sendfile() on "normal" GETs on bigger files
> mmap()+writev() for multiple byteranges, whatever the size

When I talk about read, I expect us to use writev, so we will merge
packets.  Also, even for byterange requests, we will want to use
sendfile.  Imagine a byterange request for 15000 bytes from a 10Meg
file.   This can be sent using sendfile instead of mmap.

This is all dependant on what the response data looks like.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131