httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>
Subject Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:36:06 GMT
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, James A. Sutherland wrote:

| > > Sorry, I believe in doing the RIGHT thing, not the expedient one.
| > > 'Be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept.'
| >
| > Um. Doesn't "liberal in what you accept" mean that we should be liberal in
| > accepting URLs without a trailing slash? We *KNOW* what the hell the client
| > meant, so why should we go and mess things up?
|
| What they put is /foo when they should have said /foo/ - so the correct
| thing to do, surely, is send a redirect to /foo/ and leave it at that.
| What's the problem?

Correct or not, they are equivalent.

Since they're equivalent, why is one more correct than the other? Put in
the perspective of something simpler; Is it better to 'cd /usr/' or
'cd /usr' ? Neither is better. They do and mean the same thing.

The only thing that would separate the two is a RFC or a compelling
system-level reason (which I doubt exists). Do any relevant RFCs address
this? If so, we follow it. If not, then lets not make more work for the
server because of idiosyncrasies.

/dale