httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <san...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 23:06:03 GMT
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>> A gateway module, just the relatively small bit of code to do proxypassing.
>> A proxy module, most of the current functionality, minus the cache and
>> proxypass code.
> A proxy and a reverse proxy are incredibly similar things.  The biggest
> difference is what is the machine that the proxy is sending the data
> to.  In one case, that is found in the request itself, in the other it is
> in configuration data.  These two functions really should be a single
> module where a good portion of the code is shared.

The biggest issue would be things like keep alive and upgrading and
downgrading of requests between 1.1 and 1.0.

The latency changes between the two as well. In the accelerator mode
The latency is in the initial request, where in the normal proxy mode
it is the request to the origin server.

it's really CDNP vs. WREC/WEBI here.

> Take a look at the definition of a gateway in RFC2616, it is basically
> saying, as I read it, that this is a proxy that looks to the outside world
> like an origin server.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                         [sander@covalent.net]