httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <Cranst...@remotecommunications.com>
Subject RE: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:54:02 GMT
And therein lies the biggest dilemma of all... do you follow the RFC's or
fix a Microsoft bug... my vote... follow the RFC's and comment the lines
where the patch needs to go and then show them what the patch is.

You now have achieved two critical things...

1.	Followed the RFC's
2.	Supported the customer which in turn will get them to continue using the
product.

A win win for the ASF, which can only be a good thing.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: rbb@covalent.net [mailto:rbb@covalent.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 9:47 AM
To: new-httpd@apache.org
Subject: Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> WTF?  First of all, Webfolders is buggy because it should always be
> including the trailing slash.  How the brainiacs at Microsoft got that
> one wrong is beyond me -- I personally explained to them that Apache
> returns a 301 on any directory without a slash because those are two
> different resources and ONLY the one with the slash is a collection.
> The other URL is not a collection.

Roy, I think you answered your question for yourself.  :-)  You explained
in great detail how to make Webfolders incompatible with Apache.  I have a
feeling they tested against Apache, and discovered that it continued to
work.  The problem was that they were getting lucky.  We allowed mod_dav
to get the handler phase before mod_dir.  Now, we always run this because
it is in the fixup, so we are going to ALWAYS do the redirection.

> Greg, the change is wrong, but I suppose we can leave it in for now.

This begs the question, how long do we leave the wrong behavior in the
code?  I would rather fix this correctly now, and break Webfolders than
continue doing something wrong.

Ryan

___
406 29th St.