httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/proxy proxy_http.c
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:32:54 GMT writes:

> > > I have mixed thoughts on this one.. On one hand, I agree with your pragmatic
> > > approach, on the other, we -must- have proxy pass function in the server to
> > > allow transparently "redirecting" (not HTTP redirect) traffic to back-end
> > > servers based on URL. My $.02
> >
> > I don't see why the first beta can't ship with modules labeled as - alpha
> > or pre-alpha.  I suspect we will get more hands on deck once the beta
> > ships.  A lot of sites use both proxy and rewrite.  - ben
> ... My problem with the proxy, is that the
> development isn't happening at all.

I think we'd all agree that the choice is about what triggers greatest
chance of development happening is a good thing to focus on.  If it's
the barrier of not having a more open CVS repository for it then
certainly we should fix that - but I suspect it's more a matter of not
having a sufficent need.  Shipping it with the beta, along with an
invitation to help get it working, will put it in reach of a lot more
people. I'm reasonably certain that some of those people we desperately
desire a working version and that will be sufficent to thing rolling

 - ben

View raw message