httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Punt the Proxy
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2001 01:27:28 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes in response to ben
> > A slight tunning.  We are also here to enable users, or thier agents, work
> > on what they desire.
>
> Careful: that is a comment on what you hope the developers feel; I don't
> necessarily believe it is a requirement to be an httpd developer. But it
> doesn't really matter much because I think we have ended up with a
> self-selected group that *does* believe that :-)

Too much thread drift... but yes I reached that conclusion carefully :-)

> > I'm certain there are people out there that really really desire proxy.
> Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely for enabling them.

Right, so back to what's the most effective way to trigger some
traction.

The threat, or less colorfully the natural retirement of module
due to the lack of an interested maintainer is an attractive idea.

> I also just get sick of people crying and whining for a feature, and
> *expecting* the Apache developers to do it for them. That expectation is
> severely misguided and exposes a lack of understanding of how our community
> builds software.

hear hear.

Interesting; the threat to toss some functionallity actually helps to
make this case.

The "love it or (we) leave it" tactics best executed with sufficent
fair warning - we do have a lot of pretty locked in users; so the
trick is to give them a means to step forward.

Do we need to be embaressed to say "this part is vistigal for lack
of interest" - probably not.  So I'm cool with either booting it
or shipping it labeled as "we intend to boot real soon now".

 - ben