httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Russell <g.russ...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 22:13:34 GMT
At 01:11 PM 2/7/2001 +0000, James Sutherland wrote:
> > > There 2 jobs share some common code/functionnality but there are also
> quite
> > > different.

Where they do share common code functionality, it's often not totally
perfect. Looking at the code I see no compelling reason to have one code
base for these two functions. Caching is the one obvious section that is
clearly sharable by the two sections.

Forgive me for stating what may be obvious to everyone else but, Ideally,
I'd like to see three modules:

A caching module with a generic api, such that it folks can write drop in
replacements for the standard shipped module. People could then also use
this module in any other module that could benefit from it, caching cgi,
caching internal redirect, blah blah blah.
A gateway module, just the relatively small bit of code to do proxypassing.
A proxy module, most of the current functionality, minus the cache and
proxypass code.

Not only do I think that this makes much more sense then the current
monolithic module, but I think that it would be significantly easier to
find a maintainer for each smaller module.