httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Problem found in perform_idle_server_maintenance on prefork.
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:24:59 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:
> and actually that graceful die flag might as well live in the scoreboard.
> i can't remember why the graceful die flag doesn't live in the scoreboard
> in 1.3... maybe i just never thought of it.  hrm.  i bet i just didn't
> bother to move it there because 1.3 code had to be signal aware anyhow.
> you may want to move this to the scoreboard in 2.0 to eliminate the
> SIGWINCH in the children, it'll mean fewer potential problems with
> non-signal aware 3rd party code.

IIRC, I originally put the graceful die flag in the scoreboard. The
issue was that if your server wasn't heavily loaded, many child
processes didn't ever wake up to discover they should die. So you had to
signal to interrupt the accept() they were blocked in.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html