httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: socket_read?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:31:44 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > I'll do my best, but my words are probably wrong.  Filters are run at
> > > specific times when processing.  An EOS means that there will be NO MORE
> > > data down that filter stack, EVER.  There could be more than one filter
> > > stack per request, but the filter stack is only valid until in receives an
> > > EOS bucket.
> >
> > These words work perfectly for me. It does leave open a deeper question
> > about the creation/recreation of filter stacks, but I can live with that
> > being open for now.
>
> May as well explore this now rather than later.  :-)  Could you try to
> phrase the question so that we can all discuss it.  I don't want to try to
> figure out what you are thinking, and get it wrong.

I'm not sure I can, because it isn't really fully formed in my mind, but
it is basically to do with STARTTLS - in a protocol which uses that
(which is most), the TLS layer needs to be inserted and removed from the
filter stack on the fly. The issue being that you may need to preserve
brigades (through preserving filters, I presume) whilst rebuilding the
stack.

Cheers,

Ben.

--