httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: socket_read?
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:29:09 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > In fact, in mod_tls, I should not assume that the underlying filter is a
> > socket, so I shouldn't be testing for EOF anyway - I should simply
> > return EOS when the brigade is empty.
>
> You should never return EOS.  EOS is a bucket type, and it must come from
> the lowest level possible.  If you are reading from the socket, then you
> should add an EOS bucket to the brigade once you have read all the data.

This is not compatible with previous theories! If a socket bucket is in
the middle of a stream of other buckets, then returning an EOS would be
wrong, wouldn't it?

> If you are reading from a brigade, then you should only ever see an EOS
> bucket if the lower level filter gave you one.

This makes it impossible to mix a socket or pipe bucket in a brigade
with other types, doesn't it?

> > So, my next question is: what is the purpose of an EOS bucket? Surely
> > its the same as an empty brigade?
>
> No.  An empty brigade means that there is no more data, right now.  An EOS
> means there never will be any more data.

I now understand that.

Cheers,

Ben.

--