httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/perchild config.m4
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:14:46 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > 2) use APR threads only
> >
> > > everything correctly.  The best answer I can come up with is to use APR
> > > threads in our MPMs, which should make us error out when a threaded MPM is
> > > chosen without threads in APR.
> >
> > This would be option (2). Totally fine with me. APR threads shouldn't be a
> > large burden over calling the pthread API directly. If it is, then we have a
> > problem :-)
>
> This is a much cleaner solution IMHO.  Plus, I am a big fan of making
> Apache eat our own dog food.  We wrote a threading library for APR, Apache
> should use it.  :-)

<puts on performance dude hat>

Please think very carefully about this.  MPMs were intended to be finely
tuned for the platform, and a portability abstraction in their own
right.  It's not clear to me that they need to be built on top of
another portability layer, no matter how much we like it.

I thought one of the goals for 2.0 was to be able to challenge the high
end servers in terms of path length and scalability.  We don't want to
eat so much dog food that we go...Arf! Arf! Arf!...when we could be
screaming.

At the very least, benchmark and post the results before committing,

Greg