httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Theo E. Schlossnagle" <t...@omniti.com>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:05:41 GMT
Since we are talking about mod_proxy, I will assume that you are referring to
the 1.3.x mod_proxy -- as it doesn't work with 2.0 (yet?).

What you say is deceiving.  Squid is much more effecient for high volume
proxying than Apache 1.3.x.  It's implementation supports several thousands of
concurrently open sessions.  Also, it is quite trvial to modify Squid to
handle "virtual hosting".  The point is that squid is transparent... It
doesn't care what is behind it.  With relatively small modifications, you can
put Squid in front of several URL variants and it will work with logging to
seperate files.  It is also trivial to hack Squid to support Apache style
commonlog formatting strings.

Most big sites that _really_ need something like this, just make these changes
to suit their needs.

Squid's purpose in life it to be transparent.  So, you do loose some features
like being able to use mod_rewrite to "glue" several backend machines together
into a unified namespace on the front.  Hacking mod_rewrite functionality into
Squid is a much harder problem IMHO.

It makes complete sense to me to partition mod_proxy from the httpd-2.0 tree.
Once it is lean and mean and performs _only_ the things a core module should,
then stick it back in.  If people _need_ that functionality, then for now they
download it separately.

I am starting to see mod_proxy hold up httpd-2.0 development -- that scares
me.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E  2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F