httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: [mod_proxy] Help offered
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:28:22 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> My point is that people have alternatives. I was under the impression that
> Squid didn't have reverse proxy support, which meant Apache was the only
> "real" one out there (thus making our rev proxy support relatively important
> in the scheme of things). Finding that Squid (whose sole purpose in life is
> proxying) has reverse proxy changes my point of view dramatically.

When we were investigating reverse proxies a while back for Ericsson, we
looked at both Squid and at Netscape Proxy server as solutions to our
needs. Both of them sucked bigtime.

Both Squid and NSPS are forward proxies with a reverse proxy feature.
Apache is a webserver with a reverse proxy feature. In any multi-tier
architecture the best solution is one that behaves like a webserver.
Apache won in our feasibility study because it could handle multiple and
separate virtual hosts, and could log hits separately. It could also
combine static content, dynamic CGI content, and backend reverse proxied
sites into the same webspace. Neither Squid nor NSPS could do any of
this - which was a showstopper for us.

Squid and NSPS are only useful in trivial reverse proxy situations,
where you have one frontend website URL, and your entire webspace is
proxied to one or more HTTP backends. Try and do anything more
complicated and you're stuck.

View raw message