httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Rolling tomorrow, conditionally.
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 05:11:50 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> According to what Roy has said in the past, it is to roll when the RM
> believes everything is working.

He sez:

> My intention was to tag the tree whenever some real person felt
> that it was worth tagging.

and

> Like I said, we can do this because, if it turns out we were unlucky
> and the tag point does not correspond to a stable tree state, then
> we just don't release that version.

Back to rbb:
> Roy's model also has the tag and roll being a simple thing

Not entirely.  It seems very clear to me that he has
made a point of separating the two.  Tagging can happen
at any time when things seem sane; rolling may or may not
happen at the same time.  Maybe I have missed something, but
is not the only non-simple aspect of your script the signing
part?  We do not need to sign a tarball that is not a release,
and not every tarball is a release.  As Roy remarks,

> Yes, which is why the main change is social, not technical -- we have
> to stop treating every build version as if it were a release version.
> We simply cannot know that until after the build is tested.

As I understand it, anyone may tag, and anyone may roll,
and the RM's basic function is to coordinate which tarballs
will be released.
--
#ken    P-)}