httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: SSL support
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:50:05 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:51:04PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Yeah, but not really.  What we are really saying here is that input
> > filters in general have two modes, read one line and read a big chunk.  It
> > is a bit bogus, but that is just how it has to work.  The fact that
> > ap_http_filter is next is also not exactly true, we just know that
> > ap_http_filter is later in the chain, so it controls how much data we get
> > back.  It is more a bad comment than a bad design.
>
> I think it's a bad design :-) ... but am not ready to spend the time on it
> to suggest an alternative. IMO, the input filters should always read chunks
> of data. The upper filters can massage that into lines, if that is what is
> needed.

Right. The obvious way out of this is to provide general purpose brigade
masseurs (or masseuses) that will give you a line from a chunky brigade.
But perhaps I'm missing something.

Might be one for the Hackathon...

> But there is also the caveat of HTTP being line-oriented and not wanting to
> read too far (past the newline). So yes, I recognize that is the cause of
> the current design, but I still don't have to like it :-)

Protocol is supposed to be pluggable, remember.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html