httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject SSL support
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:13:20 GMT
OK, I'm not going to wait around for someone else to take the lead any
more - so I've started work on mod_tls (name chosen to avoid confusion).
I intend to check stuff in as soon as I have it working even a little -
this is going to be a group activity :-)

However, I've immediately hit a problem - SSL requires the ability to
write when its reading and read when its writing, if you see what I
mean. Now, I really wanted to slot it in as a filter, which means that
the read filter has to be able to send stuff to the write filter chain
(well, insert stuff, more to the point) and vice versa. I can't
immediately see how that's possible, if it is at all. Is it? Should it
be?

A fallback position would be to replace the bottom (i.e. socket) layer,
but I'd rather avoid that if I can - however, if the answer to the above
is "forget it", then I guess I need to know how one does that (I haven't
looked, so just kick me if its obvious).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html