httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@netmask.it>
Subject Re: The Ring Goes South
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2001 01:08:00 GMT
Peter J. Cranstone wrote:

> Just make sure 1.3.x is stable. Don't set yourselves up for a .19 release.
>
> 2.0b1 needs to be stable too. I'm still recommending you leave out filtering
> and focus on one solid feature that works.
>
> The most interesting thing in the survey is that for the first time NetCraft
> company is now scanning the entire
> Internet for SSL (Secure) server installations and in that area MICROSOFT is
> the OBVIOUS leader.
>
> SSL will be key for 2.0.
>
> I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir.

And the work on SSL for 2.0 even didn't started!
Somebody posted to this list the first message which dealt with 2.0,
from end of 1996 (more than 4 years ago). The status of 2.0 at that
time, was very similar to the status of SSL for 2.0 today. I hope we
will not have to wait more 4 years for SSL ;-)

And it's hard to understand it. There were some processes and
developments which had to make SSL progressing faster:

1. No more RSA patents.
2. No more US limitations.
3. No more massive patches to the core Apache source, thanks to the
   I/O filters.

I was in touch with Ben (and Ralf - he was probably too busy to
respond), and understood that they would co-operate in this effort.
However, I think that ASF should make this development, its main
effort in the following months. It's the most critical key for the
future of Apache 2.

Sorry for interfering in this discussion...
--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it