httpd-dev mailing list archives

From m..@trudge.engr.sgi.com (Mike Abbott)
Subject Re: SGI's Accelerating Apache Project and contributions
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:50:04 GMT
> Uh, no -- we do not 'pledge to commit' anything.

Sometimes I'm terse.  Allow me to be more verbose.  My boss has approved
spending a limited amount of time resolving the issues between the ASF
and the AAP.  To spend that time wisely and efficiently, I will port
only those functional parts of the AAP's patches that you Apache
developers first deem suitable for inclusion.  Here's how I thought it
would work:  You guys review the patches that are already out there and
say, no way we're not including that part, but this other part would be
cool if only it were ported to 1.3.whatever-the-latest-is and used
5-space indentation (or whatever), and what in the world is this third
thing anyway?  Then I'd help with the second and third things and not
waste anybody's time with the first.  In other words, I'll help you in
any way I can -- porting, explanations, whatever -- but I can spend only
so much time at it because I'm supposed to be working on something else,
and I particularly want to avoid wasting any more time on parts that for
whatever reason you decline to adopt.  You can take all of my
optimizations or none of them or anything in between, and you can have
my help now in taking what you want, and after this I'll shut up and go
away -- and won't be able to help.  That's what I meant.
--
Michael J. Abbott        mja@sgi.com        http://reality.sgi.com/mja/