httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: problems using symlinks for apr and apr-utils
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:46:38 GMT
On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 03:41:59PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 08:37:33AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > > This is (I'm almost sure) because my apr and apr-utils in httpd-2.0/srclib
> > > are actually symlinks to the real locations. It may bite a few other people.
> > > Just a FYI.

Yes, it bit me.

> > I thoroughly dislike this.  We have built into Apache a specific location,
> > that is REALLY annoying.  I would really like to be able to do something
> > like:
> >
> > ./buildconf --with-apr=...  --with-apr-util=...
> >
> > This would allow us to put these libraries anyplace.
>
> We cannot move apr. We might be able to move apr-util.
>
> The problem is that Apache's autoconf script includes pieces from APR. It
> does this using "sinclude(srclib/apr/build/whatever)". To change the APR
> location, we'd have to rewrite configure.in.

No, but you can "normalize" all known base directories
(like: HTTPD_BASE=`pwd`; APR_BASE=`cd ...wherever...; pwd`; ...)
and then only use the absolute base paths + any relative stuff, instead of
blindly relying on a "cd ../" to something which is strictly outside of
apr's responsibility.

Just my $.05

   Martin
--