httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: problems using symlinks for apr and apr-utils
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:41:59 GMT
On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 08:37:33AM -0800, wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >     configuring package in srclib/apr-util now
> >     .
> >     checking for APR... /usr3/src/CVS/apr/include
> >     checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
> >     checking for chosen DBM type... sdbm (default)
> >     configure: ../expat-lite: bad directory
> >     checking for Expat in ../expat-lite... no
> >     configure: error: Expat was not found (or recognized) in "../expat-lite"
> >     configure failed for srclib/apr-util
> >
> > This is (I'm almost sure) because my apr and apr-utils in httpd-2.0/srclib
> > are actually symlinks to the real locations. It may bite a few other people.
> > Just a FYI.
> I thoroughly dislike this.  We have built into Apache a specific location,
> that is REALLY annoying.  I would really like to be able to do something
> like:
> ./buildconf --with-apr=...  --with-apr-util=...
> This would allow us to put these libraries anyplace.

We cannot move apr. We might be able to move apr-util.

The problem is that Apache's autoconf script includes pieces from APR. It
does this using "sinclude(srclib/apr/build/whatever)". To change the APR
location, we'd have to rewrite

To rewrite, we'd need to pass the APR location to
(it can default, though). Assuming that apr-util's configure will grow a
dependency on APR, it would need similar logic to its

But all of that is bogus because is not used by the end-user.
We need to build a "configure" script for a very specific layout and ship
that. aprutil needs to have a configure switch, not a switch so
that (a shipped) aprutil can work against an APR saved in various places.

Greg Stein,

View raw message