httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: over-aggressive redirection in mod_dir
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:22:03 GMT
WTF?  First of all, Webfolders is buggy because it should always be
including the trailing slash.  How the brainiacs at Microsoft got that
one wrong is beyond me -- I personally explained to them that Apache
returns a 301 on any directory without a slash because those are two
different resources and ONLY the one with the slash is a collection.
The other URL is not a collection.

Greg, the change is wrong, but I suppose we can leave it in for now.
Unfortunately, the HTTP spec overspecified the constraint on redirecting
request methods -- it is perfectly safe for a user agent to automatically
handle a redirect for a read-only method like OPTIONS.  I expected that
the WebDAV spec would have made that clear, but it doesn't, so I'll have
to send it to the http-wg.

I suppose you have already informed the webfolders dudes that their
code is buggy.

....Roy