httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:43:58 GMT
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:22:58AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> From: "Greg Stein" <>
> > Our past few releases have had little niggly problems here and there. Every
> > one of them. It would be nice to get a release that can just sit out there
> > for six months. I have a bad feeling that this may be an indicator that
> > we're going to have to release another.
> I agree with near all of what you said - until you got to this statement.  In the
> intervening months between Feb when I jumped on board, and October, there was a
> single release in those 8 months.  Which means ... the server was stable?
> Not on your life.  We simply didn't 'have it together' - or were lacking motivation
> to roll a release.  Look at the bugfix list for 1.3.13/14 - it is far, far too long.
> Please suggest we hold to correct this issue.  Please don't suggest that starving off
> the pipe of valid corrections for six months is healthy.

Eh? I'm not sure how you got this out of my statement. I said "let's deal
with this problem so we don't have to release again in two weeks when we
find this last-minute change bunged things up."

I'd like to *hope* we can have a release that lasts for six months.
Certainly, I'm not saying we should prevent new releases for that time.

> > Can we slow down and examine the issue?
> I don't have any objection if you want to call for a new tarball and to dump
> 1.3.18.  I can imagine some third party module that wouldn't expect us to have
> manipulated the source string as we have done.

Right. That's my worry. And with a last-minute change, we have no feedback
on the problem.

I'd like to see the change removed, a release made, then put the thing back
in (and I'd say with a pstrdup). We can then add your W2K shutdown stuff.

I don't know... it just doesn't feel right to have this change go in at the
11th hour like that. Whether we keep it in or not, a better comfort factor
would be nice. If we wait a week for the W2K fix, fine. But that one just
bugs me a bit. It really would be nice to reach the point where 1.3 is a
known quantity and can hang for a long while.


Greg Stein,

View raw message