httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: On 2.0 again.
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:42:31 GMT
> I am having a hard time understanding why we are requiring our first beta
> to be seg fault free as well.  The server works.  It has been running on
> apache.org for at least four or five days.  This is not GA code.  We are
> stable, and things seem to work.  A beta cycle means just that.  We
> believe this is better than alpha code, but not quite completely finished,
> use at your own risk.

Actually, alpha means that it is a complete build suitable for testing
by people who know what they are doing (developers) and beta means that
it is a complete build suitable for end-user testing (production).

For normal shops, alphas are only made available to in-house testers
and betas are only made available to a limited set of customers
under NDA.  For us, we just give it a label to express our own
confidance and let the tester's select their own level of bravery.

Anyway, +1 for releasing the last build as an alpha, since it is
certainly better than the last release (the only criteria that matters).
We are very close to the point where non-developers can use 2.0.

....Roy