httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: code re-org
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:44:49 GMT
I totally hear you. The other day, when I was working on the headers, I was
hoping to move stuff into private headers in modules/http/. No go... and
going the other direction was just as bad.

It's a horrible tangle.

I also found CORE_PRIVATE is used in a couple ways: to refer to the "core
server" and to refer to "core HTTP handling". And then, a *ton* of stuff
goes and defines CORE_PRIVATE for access to that *private* stuff.

For example, the core_dir_config and core_server_config are used throughout
the Apache source. They "should" be private to modules/http/http_*.c (I'd
say by placing them into modules/http/mod_core.h).

I'd suggest creating httpd-2.0/include/ap_private.h and start shoving some
stuff into there.

I *really* like OtherBill's thoughts for creating core_fs. Currently, the
Apache core (and some other bits) are too dependent upon serving files from
a filesystem. Very bogus. While all the functionality can/should remain
exactly the same, it might be nice to consider *where* you're moving files
to. Having a core_fs as a place to drop them would be nice.

(and Location and VirtualHost would be part of core)

Maybe we should rename http_core.c to mod_http.c? And mod_core.h to
mod_http.h?

That would leave the "mod_core" name to the server/ directory.

I look forward to your writeup. Little moves here and there, in prep for
"the big move", would be quite fine (IMO) without a document.

Cheers,
-g

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/