httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: any objections to moving out modules/proxy?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:19:48 GMT
Between myself, Ryan, and Chuck, there are three +1 votes. I'll probably do
the move later on tonite (after the 1am PST time that I mentioned).

I'll set up a STATUS file with Ryan's set of benchmarks.

I'm considering the following layout:

/home/cvs/httpd-proxy/
    build/
    docs/
    module-2.0/        # mod_proxy for Apache 2.0

If the mod_proxy developers want to spin up separate efforts, they can
create other subdirs. Maybe have a mod_revproxy or mod_cacheproxy or
whatever. If mod_proxy is split into a few modules, they can also go in as
subdirs.

Please provide feedback since it is easier to move files to the right place
now, rather than later.
[ actually, you can do a lot of moving later if you aren't worried about
  snapshot consistency for a given tag; you'll probably not have *any* tags
  for a while, so it may be okay ]

The top-level, build, and docs directories will be empty since a new system
will need to be put into place. I would recommend looking at the apr-util
build directory for a template. The buildconf and configure scripts should
be quite simple, since you'll just be setting options rather than
portability stuff (since that is solved by APR). You should use libtool, so
the module will be built the same as Apache (you won't need to fetch a lot
of Apache-specific flags and stuff via apxs). Basically: there will be a bit
of rampup (downtime) to get mod_proxy building on its own, but it shouldn't
be too bad. I'd also recommend that you don't worry about static Apache
builds for now; it is a very difficult issue for externally-built systems.

After the move, then additional committers can be added as needed. That can
be done with a request to the HTTPD PMC (I imagine Chuck will be making
these requests). This process is still a bit TBD, as the proxy subgroup will
need to get itself into working shape. I will also posit that the PMC won't
have any problem adding committers recommended by Chuck, so you just have to
sell yourself to him :-)

Cheers,
-g

--