httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: remove dexter?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:59:43 GMT
On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:29:32PM -0800, wrote:
> Would anybody be opposed to removing the dexter MPM from Apache?  The
> Perchild MPM can do everything that dexter does currently, plus the UID
> per child process.  Having both seems a bit like overkill to me.
> Of course, before I remove it, I will ensure that perchild compiles and
> runs correctly.

>From MPM.NAMING, I see that mpmt_pthread is variable # processes with a
constant # of threads. Dexter is variable threads, constant processes.

What is perchild? (and can you update MPM.NAMING)

I'm not sure that we want to toss dexter just yet. It might have some nice
performance implications relative to mpmt_pthread.

Maybe there is some further refactoring that can be done from prefork,
dexter, mpmt_pthread, and perchild? They *are* all variants for Unix-ish

Greg Stein,

View raw message