httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Release tag names
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:02:58 GMT
On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:42:49PM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > chmod 644 CHANGES httpd_2.0.XX.tar.*
> > cp /www/dev.apache.org/dist/
> > chmod g+w /www/dev.apache.org/dist/httpd_2.0.XX.tar.*
> >
> > This makes it available for general testing.
>
> I would prefer that we change to use the tarball name of
>
>     apache_httpd_2_0_XX_alpha.tar.*
>
> because it reduces a lot of download headaches if the periods
> are only used for type extensions.

Seems reasonable.

Can I lobby for '-' rather than '_' ? apache-httpd-2_0_XX-alpha.tar.*

>... [double tag, retest ]
>
> That's a complete waste of time.  Do this instead:

Agreed... much heavier than necessary.

>     foreach i (gz gz.asc Z Z.asc)
>     mv apache_httpd_2_0_XX_alpha.tar.$i apache_httpd_2_0_XX_beta.tar.$i
>     end
>
> and then change the website as appropriate.  BTW, shouldn't this be
> under /www/httpd.apache.org/dist/?

Actually, that just points to /www/www.apache.org/dist/. The theory is that
we will release all the Apache software from there.

> > This is markedly better than the process used to be.  However, the double
> > tag and roll kind of sucks.  My problem is how we get around doing the
> > double tag and roll, but still get the Announcement in the tarball (I
> > could live without this), and update the server-string (I am very much
> > against not doing this).
>
> Definitely getting better.  We don't need the Announcement in the tarball.
> People who have the tarball already know it exists.

Agreed.

> I still cannot understand why you want the Server string to contain
> anything but the version number.  Please don't tell me that users want
> this -- the only people who ever look at the Server string are marketing
> wonks and software developers.

Agreed. A version string will state the exact software they are running. It
doesn't have to say anything about its quality.

[ and for people that want to map version to quality, they have STATUS, or
  we could even have a web page on httpd.apache.org that lists the version,
  release date (if any), and quality of all the servers ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/