httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M . Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: a bit o' proxy history
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:04:49 GMT
On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:23:18AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> Doing a quick search, here is what I found about the proxy stuff in the past
> six months:
>
> June 9:
>     Tweaks to remove strerror()
>
> (*) June 12, June 13:
>     Some new proxy work is checked in.
>
> June 30, July 17, July 29, Aug 2, Aug 6, Aug 23, Oct 8, Oct 16:
>     Tweaks to keep it compiling, or to deal with name changes, or how
>     variables are exported. Nothing functional, just dealing with proxy's
>     existence.
>
> (*) Nov 11, Nov 14:
>     Some more proxy work.
>
> Nov 16, Nov 17:
>     Tweaks/changes to deal with BUFF removal.
>
> (*?) Nov 18:
>     Ripping caching out.
>
> Nov 19, Dec 4, Jan 17, Jan 19, Feb 5:
>     More tweaks.
>
> (*) Feb 7:
>     Proxy work to get it running again.
>
> (*) denotes real work, rather than maintenance
>

> In balance, we have a ton of crap changes to deal with its existence, even
> though it doesn't work in the first place. In the past six months, there
> have only been three actual sets of changes to try to get the proxy to work:
> June, November, and February (when its removal was brought up again).
>
> We're spending more effort trying to keep the thing compiling and linking,
> and near zero effort to actually make it function.

That is a very good way to put it.

> Its existence within the core is a burden to people trying to get the core
> solid and shipping. Yet it contributes nothing to Apache because it just
> doesn't work like it should.

Absolutely true.  Then why not just go ahead and create the repository for mod_proxy,
move the current code in there and figure out how the different things it's doing,
reverse proxy, HTTP proxy, etc, should be modularized and elect a temporary maintainer
for it.  Then figure out what the most important priorities are so it can be included/
shipped with httpd-2.0.x.  See who volounteers and submits usefull patches in the near future
and re-evaluate later.

To me it clear it should be in it's own repository, and it's also clear nothing can be
clearly settled until new code is written/submitted.  Until then, nothing _very_ usefull
will happen.

Do I make any sense?

> And we're talking just the past six months here. I didn't go back further.
>
> Cheers,
> -g
>
> --
> Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

| Philippe M. Chiasson  <gozer@cpan.org>        |
| SmartWorker http://www.smartworker.org        |
|     IM : gozerhbe  ICQ : gozer/18279998       |
|   64.8% computer corrupt according to         |
| http://www.freespeech.org/ljk/purity.html     |
Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in
the process and the innards are discouraging
to any but the pure scientist.
	-- E. B. White

perl -e '$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P26,pack(L,$$));/^Just Another Perl Hacker!\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'